|Crispy Roast Pork|
As part of my ongoing experiments to achieve unbelievably crispy roast pork, i bring you yet another recipe/method of doing it! YOU MUST TRY THIS! This is by far the BEST method i discovered. Forget drying the pork belly in the fridge overnight. You only need to prep this 1.5 hours before baking it. Yes! Simple as that. Try it to believe the magic! Without further ado...
0.5kg Pork Belly
Seasonings (i used all purpose seasonings, salt and some 5 spice powder)
1 tsp Baking soda
1. Score the skin (about 1cm apart) on the pork belly. The easiest way to do this is when the pork belly is slightly frozen so that the piece of meat is hard and its easier to cut. If not, just have a very sharp knife on hand. But becareful!
2. Rub baking soda and salt all over the skin and in between the cuts.
3. Let the pork sit for 1.5 hours. I just left mine out in the open to thaw.
|Raw pork belly (scored)|
4. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees celsius.
5. Rinse off the salt and baking soda on the pork skin. Wash thoroughly. If not you will end up tasting the baking soda!
6. Dry the meat and apply seasoning on the meat. Give it a good rub with the seasoning you are using. Do not be afraid to use slightly more. The seasoned surface area of each piece of meat you end up with after cutting will not be much. Unless you plan to eat big chunks at a go :x
7. Bake the pork for 30 mins at 220 degrees celsius. Turn down the temp to 180 degrees celsius to bake for another 1 hour. This cooking time is suitable for pork belly up to 1 kg. If you are using a much bigger piece, you should allow for more baking time.
Viola! I hope you'll try it soon! It's fantastic!