Teh: Happy Lunar New Year! We wish everyone a smooth sailing Dragon year ahead! Huat ah!
On the lunar new year eve, i tried another method of making roast pork. I must say it was my most successful attempt so far! And believe me, i've made roast pork with various methods over the years. The skin was crispy and the meat was just nice. I could have seasoned the meat better but the spotlight was all on the skin!! Thoroughly crispy skin! The most important thing is.... this recipe is almost effortless! Try it! (sorry i didn't take any pictures. my phone was cranky *sulk*)
400g pork belly
1. Wash the pork belly. Pat dry.
2. Season only the meat part with desired seasoning. (5 spice powder, garlic powder etc. I only seasoned with salt and it was yummy!)
3. Leave pork belly uncovered in the fridge overnight.
4. Cut the skin of the pork belly when you are ready to roast it in the oven. Cut = use a sharp knife and cut the skin till you can see the fats under the skin but no more than that. Which way should you cut the skin? The simple way! Imagine the roast pork is ready and you want to cut it up to serve it. Cut the skin as though you are making markings for the eventual cut.
5. Rub salt all over the skin and especially in between the cuts.
6. Bake at 220 degrees celsius for 15 minutes. Then lower down the temperature to 180 degrees for 40 mins. If after 40 mins, the skin doesn't look puffed up or crispy enough, crank up to the max temperature and baked for another 5 minutes.
7. When the roast pork is cooled enough for cutting (different people different tolerence for heat and urge to taste the roast pork), cut it up with a sharp knife and listen to the wonderful sounds the crispy skin make!
Tip: Based on my experience, if you want to bake/roast 1 kg of pork belly, it'll take about 1.5 hrs in total for the meat to be tender. You should give it 20 minutes at 220 degrees then 180 degrees the rest of the way.